Friday, June 10, 2005

Law in Canada

An interesting experience I faced recently here... a dealing with a lawyer... We just purchased a house and part of the regulation is to consult a lawyer... we felt good about it because we felt we will have some one to protect our interest... we understood this would coast us $2000 but felt it is worth it... However...

After frustrating delays... we had a chance to meet him... he gave us 15 min... he is so busy.... he had a big pile of papers in front of him... he wanted us to sign them all... the first paper we had to sign said something like "I, the lawyer, do not hold any responsibility for representing you..." Ouch... the next one, he summarized the whole document in less than 10 sec.. he sounded like those who run auctions... I think it is a course lawyers should take... the documents listed set of modofication to our contract... when I asked the lawyer... should I sign it? He said... "I cannot tell you... it is up to you"... I asked for advise, he said "Sorry, I cannot advise you..." I asked him, is it for my advantage, he replied, "I cannot answer this", I told him that you represent me... should I sign it he replied: "You are wasting your time, if I do not finish all the papers in the next 9 minutes, your purchase will be delayed... so either sign or forget about buying the house... He was not ready to represent me... all he did was practically talk like an auctioneer and put an "x" where I am supposed to sign... and I signed... I can do that without a lawyer... I do not know why the regulation requires a lawyer... I practically lost $2000 for nothing... I could have signed the papers myself (an I can ask my son to put the "x"') since this lawyer did not change anything...

One week after that, still he did not finish our paperwork... not only that, he is charging us $50 per day for the delay he is making...

In my opinion, this is organized theft... but this is the new way of the "law"... and there is nothing we can do...

No comments:

Post a Comment