Friday, July 1, 2011

Memories: Our Old House

House Plan as I remember itMy youthful house was on the third floor of my grandfather's house. I talked about it roof pool in a previous post. Now, I like to talk about as I remember it until I was 3 years old. That is barely before my brother was born.

As I understood later, my father built that apartment on the roof of his father building. I do not know for sure when. Was it before he got marries or in the period he got married and before I was born. I remember mom mentioning she had to live with her in-laws briefly. This is a period I need to check out.

The apartment was a single bedroom with a large living room and a dining area that overlooks the roof pool. The kitchen and bathroom were relatively small. The bedroom had a huge window that overlooks El Zeini building and a balcony that is squeezed behind the Shatila Building. The window is closed behind thick curtains in winter and is wide open in summer. This eliminates any privacy. We can hear the neighbors conversations as if they were in the next room and many times we enjoy the music of their radios.

The stairs that leads to the apartment is massive. It is made of 6 different stair sets. The first one had 13 steps, while all the other 5 had 11 steps. I used to count them every time I go up or down. We did not have an elevator, so counting them was a way to kill time. The stairway had huge open widows that would fill the stairway with water when it rains. I used to hop the stairs in both ways, up and down.

The bedroom was made up of two twin beds. One for my mom and another one for my dad. Their frame is made from strong cedar wood. Before my brother came, they put them next to each other so they make a huge king bed. I used to sleep with them. Now, I wonder if I witnessed the making of my son without me recognizing it. Another topic to check out!

The living room consisted of a large dining table with 6 chairs. They laid it to the west wall so that the can use the rest of the room space as a causal sitting area. The seats were made up of one sofabed and two armless chairs. I spend most of my time there. These chairs are still used by my parents till today, after renovating them couple of times. This is quality!

The living room had more seats. This was a forbidden area. I was rarely allowed to enter it. It is a middle eastern habit. The living room is for the guests only. It has to stay clean and neat. Its a kids-free zone. It had two doors: one that opens to the dining area and another one that opens to the main entrace, which was kept locked most of my toddler life. The living room had a wide window that goes from one side of the west wall to the end. The sunset view from that window is breathtaking. I do not understand why they did not enjoy it!

To walk from the dining room, i.e. my play area, to the bed room, I had to go through a corridor that leads to the Kitchen and the bedroom. I still remember every inch of this space. The revolving door that is always kept open. To me, it was a challenge. I never knew knew how to use the door stoppers. They were supposed to be high tech for those day... but never worked. Facing this door was a basin and a huge mirror. This mirror made me see myself grow. I still remember the first time I was able to see my face on the mirror without having to stand on the tip of my feet! It was a landmark that my mom talked about for many years later. Even when I became taller than her. Just next to the mirror, there was the kitchen door. Always open. Fridge on the left, and a stove in the front. A huge window kept the smell out in summer. In winter, my father installed a huge fan, he calls it "esperateur" that I was repeatedly told to switch if off before I go to bed. Its switch was high for a todler. Used the tips of my foot. I found it motivating to withness how tall I am getting by noting how high I had to push myself up.

Crossing two doors, I get to the living room. These two doors were the main air condition control of the house. My father used it to control the flow of the air across the house by opening and closing them. Closing the kitchen door while opening the door next to the bathroom ensured a smooth breeze from the balcony without getting the smell from my mom's cooking. Opening both doors and the pool door, ensure a windy passage of air that cooled the house even in the hot weather. My father called it "corrindor".

This whole house was my play gorund shared by no one, until my brother was born.

1 comment:

  1. You can be noval writer.
    I enjoy readying your stories

    ReplyDelete