Saturday, July 2, 2011

Memories: My father's building, 1960-1974

The memory posts I did made me try to re-imagine how my father's building looked like back when I was a toddler. I redrew it. I did one picture that shows how it looked like before my dad did the expansion, around 1960. The other one after the renovation and expansion. Sometime around 1970. This 4+1 story building was demolished in 1991 and a new 11 story structure was erected in its place.
My impressions of the building circa 1960...

... and how it became around 1970
Few things to notice:
  • the car in the first picture, this was my father Peugeot 403, model 1958, that he had. It survived the years till around 1974!
  • The three trees: The Akadinia on the left. The one that saved my life. The palm tree that never bore dates and the pine tree that was cut in 1977 to build a protected garage.
  • The bird cage on the roof of the 1970 picture.
  • The stairs that appear from the stairwell window.
  • The drabzeen, i.e. the railings, around the building and in the stairwell.
  • The pigeons in the second picture.
All of them will be the topics of future posts.





Detect language » Arabic

No comments:

Post a Comment