Monday, December 22, 2008

Turmoil at Work

In mid November, a lot has happened at work. All were part of my plan "c" plan. Somehow, I was pushing towards it although many might think they were driving it. It has given me some insight into advanced corporate politics.

I was not happy at my work. Although I had a team I will die for, but they were incompetent. They are hardworking and loyal, but they do not help me enforce clean change. I was really getting tired working with them. Physically, mentally and socially.

At the same time, my upper management did not help me to succeed. There is lack of acceptance of strategy, positive improvement, advanced support or understanding of alignment to objectives. There is a resistance for positive feedback in the aim of improvement.

I was in the middle. In my mind, with the variables I had, My team and I did miracles. However, I achieved 65% of my objectives in double the time (4 years instead rather than the 2 years I originally planned) At the same time. I was spending my time implementing technology rather than applying it in education. This has drained my ambition.

As I outlined in the previous post, I was offered a dream job just before the development at work started. I declined one of them and the main reason is my son: he is excelling beyond my wildest dreams being where we are. I felt it is not fair for him to uproot him from his comfort zone (friends, factors of success academically and socially, successes in drama and being a celebrity, and an offer for him to continue his studies at a college without admission!) made sacrifice and decide to stay at my present work..

However, due to the support of the President, who I truly feel he is the only one who believe in positive change and has given me a lot of support, I was able to move myself in a positive way, laterally, to create a position and a department which is my ideal job: to head the first ever Innovation department. Not only head it, but create it and create an atmosphere of innovation and development among the faculty and instructor of the college. At the same time, start implementing Applied Research in Education. A dream comes true. A once in a lifetime chance.

These developments made me reflect on life in an unprecedented way. But this is another post. All I can say at the moment, is that, my energy is drained. I am still waiting on the second offer to take shape to make a final decision if I should move or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment